Monday, December 17, 2012

Light Contemplation

by Bobbi Ewing
Seattle Yoga Arts student

As we inhabit the depths of the dark season, moving closer toward the winter solstice, the darkest day of the year, we are in the perfect space to contemplate light. As we lose light in our outer landscape, we might also feel darkness creep into our inner landscape, as I experienced during the seasonal shift, falling away from summer into fall and now winter.
 
As I remained present with the darkness I felt inside, I was moved to contemplate light. I began a new ritual: I light a candle every night. After I light each candle I study the flame, I become curious. I look into the flame and marvel at its color – the gold, the blue, the purple “hallow” at the tip of the thread. I notice the shape of the flame – its soft edges, its crest. I watch the steady flame or if there is movement in the air that disturbs the flame, I watch the flame flicker and dance, swaying side to side, bouncing in all directions.

I stay with the dancing flame until it becomes steady and still again. I note to myself that the light always seeks to steady itself, to come back to the center, to find a place of tranquility. I think to myself, “what a great metaphor!” The light models a state of being I can cultivate in my life: tranquility, inner stillness.

I put my hands over the flame and feel its warmth and its heat. With my heart sense, I feel gratitude for this glowing and radiating light. I am grateful that because of this light I can see in the dark, both literally and figuratively. I am grateful for all that this light is teaching me. I am grateful that the light is shining on my path of discovery.

Sometimes my practice and ritual of lighting a candle is a symbolic gesture. I place an intention on the light, an intention I want to manifest in my life, such as tranquility. The light represents that intention, it radiates the intention, it sends out the light of that intention.

Sometimes lighting a candle is a hopeful gesture. The light becomes the flame of a hope, wish, or desire I have in my life. The intent behind this action is to keep the fire burning around this hope, wish, or desire instead of letting the fire, the light, die out.

Other times my practice of lighting a candle serves as a reminder of my inner light. The light I hold in my hands, my light, is precious and sacred. In these reverent moments I recite Pantajali’s Yoga Sutra I.36 “visoka va jyotishmati,” which translates into English as “the light within is free from all sorrow and suffering.”

I leave you with these rays of light to carry you from darkness into the light:

“When it gets really dark, you can see the stars.”

"Be a light unto yourself." – The Buddha's final words

For more of Bobbi's writings, visit her blog My Inner Mystic.

No comments:

Post a Comment